Miso Beef with Mushrooms
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 (2 1/2 lbs.) eye round steak, cut into 2-inch thick strips
- 3 Portobello mushrooms, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup red chile pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/4 cup sake or Mirin
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons yellow miso
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Season beef with cayenne, pepper and salt. Preheat oil in a saucepan and add beef. Cook each side for about 3 minutes, until browned. Turn the heat off and remove beef.
- After 2 to 3 minutes, add butter to the same pan and let it melt over medium heat. Add mushrooms to the pan cut side down. Cook for few minutes, until browned. Flip and cook for a few minutes more. Remove from pan and set with beef.
- Add ¼ cup thinly sliced onion along with a sprinkle of salt and cook for few minutes, until golden. Stir in 4 tablespoons of sake and deglaze the pan.
- Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, and 3 tablespoons yellow miso. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then add mushrooms and beef. Cover and continue simmering over low heat for 2 to 3 hours, until meat is fork-tender.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar and 1/4 cup of each thinly sliced red chile pepper and green onions. Cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes more. Serve and enjoy!